ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Clinton Begin" <clinton.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Which to choose : iBatis or Hibernate
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2007 15:13:12 GMT
I should be the most biased person right?  ;-)  Maybe not....

> is my assumption right. Does Hibernate have
> namespace support like in iBatis.

Well...yes.  Possibly better.  Hibernate simply uses the package
structure in which you place the XML files as the namespace (just like
a class), because it's a mapping between classes and tables.  iBATIS
has a more abstract/artificial namespace that's only needed because
you can put the files anywhere.  I actually prefer Hibernate's
approach, and it's something we may use in iB3.  With SQL Mapping in
Annotations and possibly some generated CRUD stuff in iB3, the
namespaces really become blurred.  The only people who will not like
that approach are those who don't like putting their XML mapping files
in their classpath (which I'm hoping is rare -- I see no reason to put
them anywhere but in the classpath).

As a more general recommendation, I'd say:  If the database for your
application already exists, then use iBATIS.  If you get to create it
from scratch, use Hibernate.

There are other factors of course...if your app is heavily based on
reports or complex/large queries and lists of lots of objects...then
iBATIS will be significantly faster and easier in the long term.  But
if it's pretty much a form based CRUD app, Hibernate will do nicely
and will save you some typing.  Also, how much OO experience does your
team have vs. SQL experience?

Anyway, in the end you should run two spike tests of each framework.
Implement a vertical slice of your application, preferrably one of the
more difficult ones, using both.

Also, consider this post to our list last week:

"I am responsible for building a scalable and high performance data
access layer for our keyword search application, which is of
distributed nature, and have convinced the team for IBATIS. We did
some pilot and comparative studies for our requirements IBATIS is
winner among pure JDBC, IBATIS, Hibernate, Java Persistence
framework."

Regards,
Clinton