ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Larry Meadors" <lmead...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Enums and iBatis - still not clear
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:49:21 GMT
They aren't too bad to write - more of a nuisance than anything.

There is one example on the WIKI, and I just added another one that I
like better:

http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/IBATIS/How+do+I+use+Enums+with+annotations

(in case that wraps --> http://tinyurl.com/2mgqd3 <-- this is the same page)

My guess as to why they aren't handled easier is two-fold: time and
compatibility.

I know I don't have the time to implement this in iBATIS in a way that
retains jdk1.4 compatibility - if you do, please feel free. It's open
source - you get to scratch your own itch. :-)

Larry

On 6/12/07, Tom Duffey <tduffey@utilivisor.com> wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2007, at 9:32 PM, Paul Benedict wrote:
>
> For each enum you want to write to the database, you need to write yourself an iBatis
type call back handler. This will translate the enum to whatever data type you want (and int
or a string, etc.), and vice-versa.

> This is more of a developer list question but is there any reason why we can't make iBATIS
handle the simple enum case where the name maps directly to/from the DB automatically?  It's
a major pain to write all these type handlers.

> Tom
>

> Sebastian Niezgoda wrote:
>      Hello,
>
>  I've read through archives and the wiki but I'm still not clear on how exactly to handle
enums using iBatis.

>  I use ant's xjc task to create objects from a database schema. The code tables become
Java Enum objects such as:

>  public enum MyEnum {     VAL1,
>    VAL2;
>
>    public String value() {
>       return name();
>    }
>
>    public static MyEnum fromValue(String v) {
>       return valueOf(v);
>    }
> }
>
> I have a POJO, MyObject, with the following parameters:
>
> private String ID;
> private MyEnum enum;
>

>  I do a simple query and in the DAO SQL I create a result map as follows:
>
>  <resultMap id="pojoMap" class="MyObject">     <result property="ID" column="ID"
/>
>    <result property="enum" resultMap="MyObject.enumMap" />
> </resultMap>
>
> <resultMap id="enumMap" class="MyEnum">
>    <result property="?????" value="enum" />
> </resultMap>
>

>  My question is - how do I map the value I retrieve from db (called enum) to the MyEnum
class?

>  No matter what I replace the ????? with it doesn't work and it fails with the following
error:

>  Cause: com.ibatis.common.beans.ProbeException: There is no WRITEABLE property named
'?????'; in class 'MyEnum'

>  I could create a bunch of handlers but there are many of them and since the objects
are generated from the schema they can always change.  Is there an easy way to do this?