ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Chris Lamey <cla...@localmatters.com>
Subject Re: Question on using Transactions with iBatis and Spring
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:51:12 GMT
Hello,

I think it depends on how you are setting your data source.  If you are
setting the iBATIS DataSource via the Spring SqlMapClientFactoryBean in
a Spring context, you are using an EXTERNAL DataSource as far as iBATIS
is concerned.  iBATIS at that point wouldn't have anything to do with
the creation of configuration of the DataSource or any transaction
management.  Note that means any explicit transaction Java code
(startTransaction()/endTransaction()/etc) you might have will also be
ignored.

If you don't set a DataSource on the Spring SqlMapClientFactoryBean in
your context, then you need to handle the DataSource and transaction
handling in the sqlmap config file.

IMHO, using the Spring declarative transaction handling is the way to
go.  It's completely transparent, you don't need to write any code for
it, and it keeps your application loosely coupled.

Cheers,
Chris