ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Mark Volkmann <m...@ociweb.com>
Subject mapping to objects that have multiple list properties
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:23:52 GMT
Suppose I have person, address and phone tables.
address has a foreign key to person.
phone has a foreign key to person.
A person can have multiple addresses and multiple phones.

I want to create an iBATIS mapped select that retrieves a person and
all their addresses and phones.
This has been referred to as the "1:N + 1:M" problem and it's not
currently supported by iBATIS.
See http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IBATIS-396.

My question is why this doesn't seem to be a big issue for iBATIS users.
I can think of two possibilities.
1) You haven't needed this functionality. Perhaps the situation
doesn't exist in your databases.
2) You've worked around this by writing custom Java code that
performs multiple queries and populates the "top" object (Person)
with lists of the "subordinate" objects (Address and Phone).

I'm a consultant trying to persuade a client to use iBATIS and they
are wondering why lack of support for this isn't an issue for others.