ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Chris Lamey <cla...@localmatters.com>
Subject RE: Anemic Domain Model and iBatis
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:32:24 GMT
On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 09:12 +0300, Cihat AltuntaƟ wrote:
> You mentioned about developers that using higher level of code to hide
> relational model. Can you show me an explain ? In that model Are Batis POJOs
> have been using instead of DTO objects?

I would guess the most common approach is to use Abator to generate the
iBATIS model and DAOs, and package that in a jar.  Then pull that jar
into your project and use the DAOs and models in a
service/manager/facade layer to populate domain objects that are
returned to the consumers of the service/manager/facade.  The domain
objects do not have to adhere to the relational model and can look quite
different from the Abator generated iBATIS model objects.  You could
even put the server/manager/facade functionality within the domain
objects themselves (this can lead to other problems with things like
serialization and no clear lines of responsibility, depending on how you
build things).  If you don't use Abator, the idea remains the same.

iBATIS doesn't force your domain model.  iBATIS is very flexible and can
map complicated objects in and out of relational databases.  Also, the
objects iBATIS maps don't have to follow the relational structures you
have, you can do things like pull multiple tables together in a single
query and map the resulting columns into a single Java object.  Now,
Abator's auto-generated model objects do mirror your relational tables,
but there's nothing that says you have to use Abator's model objects as
your domain objects.

Cheers,
Chris