ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Niels Beekman" <n.beek...@wis.nl>
Subject RE: Polymorphism question
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 07:02:22 GMT
Hi,

I've been experiencing this 'problem' too. I currently use the left
joins solution when there are <=3 tables, otherwise I just query the
type and perform a single join, that seems to be faster than paying the
overhead associated with the left joins.

Niels

________________________________

From: Poitras Christian [mailto:Christian.Poitras@ircm.qc.ca]
Sent: vrijdag 23 maart 2007 22:22
To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org
Subject: RE: Polymorphism question

Hi.

You can always do some left joins with the id. Something like.

Select id, col1, col2, type, colX, colY, colZ, colW

>From BaseTable LEFT JOIN ChildTable1 ON BaseTable.id = ChildTable1.id
LEFT JOIN ChildTable2 ON BaseTable.id = ChildTable2.id

Then any resultMap for these will work since the columns must be there
if the map reads it, otherwise columns are unnecessary.

This approch seems to be the only thing that would work with a join.

Still, you can do a twist with discriminator tag.

<resultMap id="baseMap">

  <discriminator column="type">

    <subMap value="1" resultMap="child1">

    <subMap value="2" resultMap="child2">

  </discriminator>

</resultMap>

<resultMap id="map1">

  <result property="subClass" property="id" select="getChildInfo1"/>

</resultMap>

<resultMap id="map2">

  <result property="subClass" property="id" select="getChildInfo2"/>

</resultMap>

By making sure the subClass calls setters of your main class, you can
force a second select to be call to populate values from child table.

I doudt you can make a reference to the populating object itself (being
able to write "this" would be a cool improvement!) inside the
disciminator when you would like a second call to database...

Possible improvement.

<resultMap id="map1">

  <result property="this" property="id" select="getChildInfo1"/>

</resultMap>

Christian