ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "James Johnson" <johnson.jam...@gmail.com>
Subject Caching Performance
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:12:07 GMT
First approach: At app startup, I ran a query 'select * from employees' and
cached all results (4000 rows). Then, I later access the cache by issuing
'select * from employees' again. The results are put into a map, and I get
from the map a subset of the employees (1 to 10).

Second approach: At app startup, I ran queries 'select * from employees
where id=#id#' for all id's and cached them (i.e. all employess, 4000 rows).
Then, I later access the cache by issuing 'select * from employees where
id=#id#' for the employees (1 to 10) that I want.

The metrics that I collected suggest that the second approach is a faster
way of getting the employees (1 to 10) from the cache. Does this make sense?
If so, can someone explain why that is the case?

Thanks.