ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Poitras Christian" <Christian.Poit...@ircm.qc.ca>
Subject RE: Caching by pre-loading
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2007 13:43:22 GMT
Maybe you can just use LRU caching. If requests are often alike, you
won't even need to question yourself as long as the cache size is large
enough.

If you must preload your employees, maybe running many "select * from
employee where id=#id#" at startup with most used ids will give you
better results.

Christian

________________________________

From: James Johnson [mailto:johnson.james2@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 04 January 2007 19:32
To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org
Subject: Re: Caching by pre-loading

Thanks for the quick response.

"iBATIS caches by SQL statement". I thought that was the case. Thanks
for confirming.

I'm trying to just use iBatis caching. One way that I saw of
accomplishing pre-loading was to issue the "select * from employee" at
web application startup. Then, on each user request for an employee(s),
I re-executed the "select * from employee". iBatis returns the cached
results (I'm using a queryForMap("getAllEmployee", null, "id")). Then I
get the employees of interest by using a get on the Map.

However, except for the first user request of a given employee, metrics
seem to show this to be slower than just querying "select * from
employee where id=#id#" for each employee.  Any ideas on how to use
iBatis caching only and have the first response to an user being cached
data (pre-loading) while having subsequent responses be at the speed of
a cached "select * from employee where id=#id#"? Perhaps, it's a
situation where the best of both worlds is not possible.

	iBATIS caches by SQL statement - your two statements are
different, so there is a cache miss.  This also demonstrates a
fundamental truth about iBATIS - iBATIS doesn't know about object
identity.  So iBATIS would have no way of looking through the first set
of cached results to see if an object from the second statement already
is available.

	You could accomplish what you want by loading all the employees
into some cache that you manage - and then selecting individual
employees from your cache.  Maybe your cache could just be a simple
HashMap keyed by employee id?

	Jeff Butler