ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Jeff Butler" <jeffgbut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: iBATIS for Java 2.3.0 Released!
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 22:24:18 GMT
Responding back to the list...

Sorry for the confusion.

I guess we should say that the DAO framework is "deprecated" in 2.2 and
"removed" in 2.3.  I believe that 2.2 will be declared GA any day now, so
the DAO framework will be around for a while longer.

But...If you are just starting with iBATIS, please don't use the DAO
framework.  Just use the SqlMap API directly, or use some other IoC
container like PicoContainer or Spring.  Your decision to use iBATIS was
surely based on a lot more than the DAO framework - and all the great SqlMap
functionality is still there.  The DAO framework is a very small layer over
iBATIS - very easy to duplicate in your own code if you need to.

If you don't want to use Spring, then it's very simple to write your own
DAOs just using the SqlMap API.  Your only issue will be that the DAO
framework provided a very elementary dependancy injection framework *for
iBATIS objects only*.  This is why it was deprecated - there are lots of
better dependancy injection frameworks out there.  I use Pico container in a
lot of projects - very simple and does a lot more than the iBATIS DAO
framework.  Spring is even better - but has a slightly higher learning
curve.  But again, you don't have to use any of these things - iBATIS works
perfectly fine using the SqlMap API directly.

Jeff Butler