ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Larry Meadors" <lmead...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ibatis v hibernate
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2006 15:07:04 GMT
I'll share my story on this, too, but will say up-front that I am
(obviously) an iBATIS advocate.

I was an early adapter of ORM. I started with Hibernate 1.x before I
had ever heard of iBATIS. After a week or so a friend (who had also
used ORM - in the form of JDO) warned me that I would not like it, and
mentioned iBATIS. I didn't listen and decided to try it anyway.

What I found was that much of what I had learned over the previous 10
years about database design and SQL query optimization was thrown out
the window, and I had to learn a new query language..that would
generate my SQL for me. The problem was that it was just as complex as
SQL was, just nowhere near as much had been written about it.

Next, I learned that I could not get a value out of the database, I
could only get an object. No customer name, just a customer object.
Not real high performance, but it was still easy. Then I discovered
that if I wanted to join tables, I could still only get objects out -
so in the case of a join, I would get a List of Object arrays. At that
point, I started to think that maybe this wasn't such a great idea,
because I had to hard code the HQL into the application, and also
hard-code the array index to get to the correct object once I got the
array from the list - so for example, myJoin[0] is customer, and
myJoin[1] is order. I was beginning a new project, so I spent about 2
weeks writing a prototype application using ORM to test it out.

I was not very happy with the design that I was forced into, so I
decided maybe my friend was right, and downloaded iBATIS to see if it
would make things easier. After about 2 days, I had replaced the
entire data-access layer, and my "stale object" exceptions all went
away, performance was improved, and all of the other developers
already knew how to use it because it was just SQL.

So IMO, I do not agree that ORM (not just Hibernate) is better if you
have complete control of the data model. I DO believe it is better if
you are building a single-application database (no sharing with
others, no external reporting) *and* you have developers with little
or no knowledge of SQL or database design.

I'll even disagree with Clinton that "Designing for future need can be
a bad practice too", or maybe just emphasize the "can" - IMO, our
value as developers/consultants is based on our ability to look ahead
and see troubles before they arise (so, I am glad to see questions
like this on the list). I liked the Vietnam analogy, because in my
experience, ORM was a total quagmire. It was also VERY messy to
refactor out of an application once it had permeated it.

Larry