ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Ron Chan <rc...@i-tao.com>
Subject Re: ibatis v hibernate
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:55:44 GMT

Thank you all for some great feedback.  Especially the 2 for 1 deal from
Clinton - an ORM discussion and a history lesson :)

However, I'm still in search of "answers" - maybe it's because I'm not sure
what it is I'm asking for, kind of like the answer to the ultimate question
;)

I have tried Hibernate, many prototypes and tests, and one live app which we
have supported and extended for over 2 years.  It has been an uphill
struggle.  Although a lot the struggle was more down to moving from a
"procedural with lots of SQL" mindset to a more OO paradigm, and much of
what I have learnt thru doing it with hibernate would probably be applicable
to getting more out of something like ibatis.

I came across ibatis ~3 months ago, no learning curve at all and we have
successfully delivered one small app already.

What I'm looking for I guess, is positive affirmation that ditching all the
hibernate hard work (not to mention many expensive books) and going down the
ibatis path is the right route.

It feels right, but still, I like to hear from other people with good
experiences - would be really good if you can give brief description of what
the problem was you were trying to solve or what the app was delivering.
Rather than a like for like matrix type comparison, real "war stories with
battle scars" would make it much more meaningful.

Thanks
Ron