ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Hariharan, Vadivelu \(IE10\)" <Hariharan.Vadiv...@honeywell.com>
Subject RE: ibatis v hibernate
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 03:11:10 GMT
Here are my cents on Ibatis Vs Hibernate

Background

---------------------

I started with hibernate and have used it extensively right from 1.X
release, at that time I had no clue about other popular ORM

Solutions, until I came across this article on javalobby.

In my organization many projects are using hibernate and they are still
in development stage, we rolled out the first application

Using Ibatis to production, I just have a single project experience on
Ibatis, but here are my thoughts.

1.	Learning Curve

To write good code in any technology, you need to be a champion in it, I
have met many developers who know hibernate but not masters in it

Learning curve with iBatis is the most simplest you can ever think of,
you can jump start as a plain JDBC developer and start with mapping you
DAO's with JDBC query

2.	SQL tuning

I believe that SQL tuning is DBA's job, in any enterprise application
you will go through this phase, and Ibatis is quite handy in here

As your DBA need not know about the technology you are using and simply
provides you the best optimized query, developers need to map

The SQL's appropriately.

3.	Performance

Object creation is definitely increases memory footprint of the app and
increases GC cycles too, I guess hibernate Object graphs are much more
complex

And traversal of the result needs more object creation as compared to
Ibatis

4.	Environment

We did not have any major issues to deploy the app on WebSphere
environment, while some of the other teams using hibernate have
complained about tons of issues

5.	Active group

Ibatis is been a fantastic forum, during our development stage we
reported a bug in Abator
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IBATIS-348) and it was fixed in no
time, I guess community support is very important as well.

            Overall we have had a great application performance in the
production system, and the development team was more than happy to adopt
to this shift in technology.

Thx.

-Hari