ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Tegan Clark <tegan.cl...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ibatis v hibernate
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:29:21 GMT
I've used both quite extensively (1 year plus projects).  I think it's important to take a
step back and look at what you are trying to optomise.  The real goal of any ORM tool is to
reduce the amount of code you write and therefore increase your developer efficiency while
reducing your bugs and overall architectural complexity.

In my experience once you have architected (adopted) a set of patterns for how your data access
layer is set up it is extremely quick to stamp out concrete iBATIS implementations for DAO
interfaces.  90% as quick as developing hibernate mappings.  The win is that with iBATIS you
have complete flexibility with what is happening under the hood, and if you stumble into something
that really needs optomising or just can't be done in iBATIS you are always free to implement
a DAO in JDBC or native calls.

I've just been through the process of mapping iBATIS onto Oracle stored procedure calls that
take custom Oracle types and return a refcursor as an out parameter.  iBATIS handled it great,
so that's a real statement to its flexibility.

I approach any project with a strong desire to map my data layer in some form and iBATIS is
always the one that fits real world situations very nicely.

Tegan

----- Original Message ----
From: Ron Chan <rchan@i-tao.com>
To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 4:10:53 PM
Subject: ibatis v hibernate

there's a lot of "advice" around that says hibernate is better when you have
complete control of the data model, and ibatis is better when you are
working on an existing database

i would like to hear from people who has had good experiences with ibatis
even though they are creating the data model from scratch, and how they feel
it's been better for them than using hibernate

thanks
Ron