ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Clinton Begin" <clinton.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ibatis v hibernate
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2006 09:54:12 GMT
I'll let the user community speak to the practical experiences, but at a
practices level consider the following at a philisophical level.

All databases are legacy databases.  Any database that is of any value will
ultimately become a dependency for more than the original application it was
built for.  Inevitably other systems will start to report off of it, then
perhaps write to it and ultimately will influence changes to the design.
Unless they're all Java based applications using the same domain model and
ORM, it's likely you'll run into the problem of a legacy design eventually,
and the ORM will break down.

In his blog[1], Ted Neward describes ORM as (forgiving the lack of political
correctness) "The Vietnam of Computer Science"[2].  His point is basically
that projects that start with ORM don't know what they're getting into, and
eventually realize that it's a losing battle. It's a good point made in a
very odd way.  ;-)

To be fair, I'll counter my own point:  Designing for future need can be a
bad practice too.  It's counter to Agile methods and therefore you might be
better starting with Hibernate and then moving to iBATIS if or when you need
to.

Cheers,
Clinton

[1]
http://blogs.tedneward.com/2006/06/26/The+Vietnam+Of+Computer+Science.aspx
[2] Ted is an American who has family that fought in the Vietnam war, so I
won't judge the analogy.