ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Ulrich Staudinger" <ustaudin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance with iBatis/DAO/Spring
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 07:44:04 GMT
Hi there,

first of all i am really no big fan ob ibatis. I just have to use it because
someone else thinks development goes faster with that library. And for small
projects this could be true, but honestly, a developer that doesn't have his
own written database package that is smaller than ibatis and does the same
as ibatias has no balls.

On 11/28/06, Chris Lamey <clamey@localmatters.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 18:00 +0100, Ulrich Staudinger wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > actually i am facing that problem in a slightly different matter,
> > too.
> > The performance with ibatis is horrible. Inserts take approx. 7 times
> > longer than with plain jdbc.
>
> Can you give more detail on this?  Are you using transactions?  If so,
> how is iBATIS configured to use them?  Are you using Spring?  If so, how
> are you initializing your application context and also the Spring
> SqlMap?

I am not using Spring. I do use plain ibatis.

> Another problem i face at the moment is that, when i use caching, i
> > see that a connection is checked out from the pool, used and returned
> > to the pool, but no query is executed.
> > Now, when the connection is returned to the pool, i still see that it
> > takes roughly 70ms until the code returns from the
> > getSqlMapClient.queryForObject(..) call.
> >
> > I have enabled debug logging already, but can't see what should take
> > 70ms!
>
> Well, how much data are you returning and how is your iBATIS caching set
> up?  If you're causing a huge data set to be serialized out from cache
> on that call, it could take a while.

The caching is LRU, it has a size of 10000 entries, the object is approx.
10kb. I will send further information later. To me the most crucial question
is, why does ibatis check out a connection from the pool when it should
fetch the object from the cache ?

Best regards,
Ulrich

--