ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Eric Tan <erictan...@yahoo.com.sg>
Subject Re: Cached list from queryForList() ...
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:40:12 GMT
Hi Larry,

Please ignore my previous posting.

My understanding of the serializable read/write cache was totally wrong.

After digging through the source code, I realized that the object is serialized to a byte
array and this byte array is then cached up in memory. Subsequent queries will retrieve new
copies through the deserialization of this byte array. Therefore there is only one cached
"object" for all sessions.

On the other hand, using just a read/write cache without serialization will create a cached
object per session (ie. cacheKey is appened with session id). If the maxSessions setting is
high and there are many requests, this will result in many similar cached objects. Memory
usage will be high due to the many duplicates. In addition, each session will need to retrieve
its data from the database for the first query.

For both cases, each query will return a copy of the cached object and modifications are made
to this copy and not the cached object.

Regards,
Eric

----- Original Message ----
From: Eric Tan <erictankok@yahoo.com.sg>
To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, 8 November 2006 12:26:15 AM
Subject: Re: Cached list from queryForList() ...

Hi Larry,

Doh! Forgot about that feature. Thanks...

I think a serializable read/write cache is what I need. A different cache object for each
session.

A few questions:

1. Where are the serialized cached objects physically stored?

2. When does the serialized cached object per session get cleaned up?

3. Can the same cacheModel store different objects? For example, MyObj and List of MyObj.

In other words, can getProduct and getProductList statements use the same cacheModel?

4. Using serializable read/write cache:
User 1 calls getProductList.
10 products are retrieved and cached as a List within iBatis.
User 1 gets a copy of this List with 10 products. This copy serves as a
 cached list for User 1's session.
User 1 removes 3 products from his list copy.
Subsequent getProductList calls by User 1 will always return his cached copy of 7 products.

User 2 calls getProductList.
Since there is a cached list of 10 products,User 2 gets a copy of this list with 10 products.
This copy serves as a cached list for User 2's session.
User 2 removes 7 products from his list copy.
Subsequent getProductList calls by User 2 will always return his cached copy of 3 products.

Is this how the serializable read/write cache works?

Thanks,
Eric