ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Jeff Butler" <jeffgbut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deprecating the DAO framework?
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2006 20:31:36 GMT
The thinking goes like this...

You don't have to use the DAO framework or Spring - many projects don't use
either.  You can write a perfectly acceptable application just using SQL
maps.  Most of my iBATIS work has been done this way.

DOA doesn't really add anything in terms of transactions - in fact, it
causes a lot of confusion in this area IMHO.  You can do everything you want
to do transactionally with the base SQL map functions.

If you want to use the DAO framework, then you are probably starting to
think about dependency injection (IoC) - and there are much better tools for
this now.  For example, Pico container supports all the IoC functions of the
DAO framework and more.  And it is very simple to use - I think they have a
5 minute introduction on their site.

Jeff Butler