ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From David Gagnon <dgag...@siunik.com>
Subject Re: Updating from ibatis 1.3.1 to 2.1.7 .. should I? NullPointerException. It look like a bug ... (More info on the bug) Please confirm:-)
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:05:56 GMT
Hi all

Since I haven't hear from you .. I dig more trying to find what wrong or
what I did wrong and I just get more evidence that is a bug and it seems
to be a major one?  Since it`s the first time I use this version of
ibatis and since it`s really basic I do think it`s because I'm missing
something obvious but I have no idea.  Please look at what I have found:

on the 1 call the following constructor is called: public
SqlMapSessionImpl(ExtendedSqlMapClient client).  This initialize the
SessionScope object i.e: setting the sqlMapExecutor, etc..

When my code calls: sqlMap.setUserConnection(null); this method should
reset the connection.  But in fact the state of the SqlMapSessionImpl
associated with the current thread is compromised because this
setUserConnection has reseted the sessionScope object (See
SqlMapExecutorDelegate.setUserProvidedTransaction()) associated with
this SqlMapSessionImpl and put It back into the pool.  BUT the
sessionScope is still into the SqlMapSessionImpl (and the
SqlMapSessionImpl is still Not closed).

When I another call the SqlMapSessionImpl will be reused with the
sessionScope object that have been reseted: I can see the sqlMapExecutor
set to null witch is not the case with the first call.

 From there the bug will occurs only if the sqlMapExecutor is involved.
In fact this is still unclear to me but I tried calling 2 times the same
line of code that calls sqlMap.queryForObject(mapKey, param); But
without error.  Is the sqlMapExecutor is involved?  Does another
sqlMapExecutor is used?  I have no Idea.

To reproduce the bug you must use the sqlMap.queryForPaginatedList
method the second time.  You will get the NullPointerException because
theSessionScope.sqlMapExecutor is NULL.

In fact if you use the debugger an trace the SqlMapClientImpl object

 private SqlMapSessionImpl getLocalSqlMapSession() {
    SqlMapSessionImpl sqlMapSession = (SqlMapSessionImpl)
localSqlMapSession.get();
    if (sqlMapSession == null || sqlMapSession.isClosed()) {
      sqlMapSession = new SqlMapSessionImpl(this);
      localSqlMapSession.set(sqlMapSession);
    }
    return sqlMapSession;
  }

 between the 1 and second call you will that the SessionScope object is
not consistent.

Hope that help.  Like I said since I'm upgrading and don`t know well
this version of ibatis I don`t really know what is the best approch to
fix my problem.  Any help is welcome.

Best Regards
/David