ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Jeff Butler" <jeffgbut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: need infos about ibatis 3rd party tool
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:24:25 GMT
If you have an existing domain model and a lot of stored procedures, then
Abator is probably not going to help you.

However, iBATIS will still be a tremendous help to your project.  iBATIS can
execute the stored procedures and map the results to your domain objects
automatically (and do automatic type handling too) - this is the real strong
suit of iBATIS.  iBATIS also reduces the amount of boilerplate JDBC code you
will have to write to zero.  No more annoying try/catch/finally/try/catch
constructs!  The "POJOs in Action" guys did not write about Abator, they
show how to use iBATIS in the more normal case - where you code the SQL/XML
by hand.

Abator is just a simple table-based code generator.  Use it if it helps,
otherwise don't.  In your case, it sounds like it won't help you very much.
Abator is NOT required for iBATIS, and your decision whether to use iBATIS
should NOT be based on Abator.

*Clinton:* you were right :)  We need to make this VERY clear somewhere.
I'll work up a statement for the website.

Jeff Butler