ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Aaron Luke" <bluen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ibatis, eclipse, and tomcat
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2006 00:12:22 GMT
Thanks Brandon- that was extremely helpful... it may only be tangentially
relevant to the ibatis product but it is related to the ibatis
documentation- if the ibatis tutorial included the missing blanks you
provide below (in addition to the typo corrections you made), then someone
like myself who is coming from C++ can hit the ground with a working example
and learn by tweaking... which i think is the preferred way of learning.  I
will submit your changes to whoever owns the tutorial pdf...  It's neat that
the Java world allows you to plug and play any component, but if
documentation is completely tool-agnostic too, it's really going to make it
difficult for novices to peek in...

The only thing I didn't understand is regarding the lifecycle of the
SqlMapClient object...  It looks like the first thread to hit my jsp page
with the getSqlMapInstance static method call would cause the class to be
loaded.  I assume that during class loading, the static method variable
sqlMap instance is initialized.  I also assume it is true that it is the
class loader that ensures that the sqlMap instance is only initialized
once?  So for example, if the first thread to cause an instantiation sqlMap
is switched out during the sqlMap constructor, and the machine switches to
another jsp that then makes a call to getSqlMapInstance static method, then
this second thread will block pending completion of the first thread's call
to the constructor?  Or is it the case that static method variables can be
initialized multiple times and that the class developer must handle the
synchronization?  If so, is the SqlMaps constructor thread-safe? My concern
was that the initialization was not thread-safe and Java does not handle
synchronization for static class variable instantiation, which means that we
would have to initialize sqlMap before splitting control threads- which
would mean it couldn't occur in a jsp (but i don't know where that would be
in tomcat- as an aside- does anyone know)...  Is any of this correct?

Anyway, thanks again for your response...  I'll put up a howto on getting
running with ibatis/tomcat/eclipse for oo programmers from other camps...  I
think it's a cool combo you can start working with on day one...  instead of
spending days wading through all of the other web frameworks and acronyms
and getting too ahead of yourself...

Aaron