ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Brandon Goodin" <brandon.goo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Selling iBatis to the skeptics
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:52:00 GMT
I would take the stand of discussing iBATIS in comparison to other
technologies only as it pertains to a particular project. In generic terms
it becomes very difficult to discuss a frameworks superiority/inferiority to
another. Each framework has it's emphasis. I think it's important to
understand iBATIS' goals and see if it fits into your project.

iBATIS has a few goals and philosophies that you will find it adhering to:

- iBATIS does it's best to maintain the 80/20 rule. iBATIS seeks to make 80%
of what you would do with JDBC easier while realizing there will be things
that are better handled by straight JDBC.
- iBATIS has a small learning curve.
- iBATIS retains the power of straight forward unparsed unabashed unfettered
100% pure vine ripened SQL
- iBATIS is value based. We do not attempt to retain object identity within
a session or cache. If two "Person" objects exist with the same internal
values, they will remain to distinct objects. This is in contrast to ORM
frameworks which strive to maintain object identity.
- iBATIS does not give deference to the Object or Relational side. We work
hard to provide equal oppotunity to developers to decide for themselves if
deference should be given to the object side or the relational side.

If i can think of anything else i'll let you know :)

Brandon Goodin