ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Nathan Ward" <nw...@resqsoft.com>
Subject RE: Selling iBatis to the skeptics
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:32:29 GMT
I would consider appealing to authority figures by summarizing points from
current books that describe the problems with EJBs and especially entity
EJBs with specific references to books in case they actually care to read it
themselves. I believe the first or second chapter of POJOs in Action has
some good points in this area. The book Patterns of Enterprise Application
Architecture has a page on it. It is the reason for Spring framework and
related "light weight frameworks".

Might be a tough sell if they have accepted life with EJBs. Maybe you just
present it as an alternative that might be useful in some situatation. In
other words, plant the seed and maybe they'll come around to it at some
point especially if they independently happen to read more about iBATIS
other light weight frameworks at some point. Another idea is to see if
they'd care to do a "study group" with you on a book like the two that I
mentioned. By study group, I mean that everybody reads on their own (e.g. a
chapter per week) and then you meet once a week (usually at lunch time) to
discuss what you've read. To make the meeting useful, I find that you need a
"discussion leader" for each meeting (could be the same person each week or
alternate). I like to have the discussion leader turn key points into
questions directly from the text and use that as the agenda for the meeting.

Good luck!

   Nathan