ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Larry Meadors" <lmead...@apache.org>
Subject Re: When returning mutiple objects and transforming "directly to xml
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 13:41:48 GMT
It may be useful, but IMO, it really does not belong in a persistence
tool, so yes, resultClass="xml" is going away. Probably not in iBATIS
2.x, but for sure in iBATIS 3.x, though in either case, your project
is safe (what you have works, and you do not have to upgrade).

That said, it is very simple to implement this feature in an efficient
manner by using a RowHandler and a tiny bit of reflection instead of
inserting it into the core. I'd bet that it would end up being just as
fast, and probably using less memory that resultClass="xml" does.

Here is the concept: You create a class that will implement the
RowHandler interface, it has one method:

void handleRow(Object row);

The row parameter will have whatever you want in it (just map it like
you would for use with queryForList or queryForObject), and will get
called once for every row that is returned from your mapped statement,
which you will call with queryWithRowHandler("statement", parms,
yourRowHandlerInstance).

So, in that handleRow method, you will build out your XML document,
using either a Document object, or a StringBuffer (I'd use the
StringBuffer, it would be much faster). You can hard code one if you
want to, or you could build one that uses reflection to get the
element names from the property names.

This would be a great topic for the WIKI if you you have the time.

Larry