ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Brent Ryan" <br...@blackboard.com>
Subject RE: iBatis enhancements (Annotations and/or Dynamic beanutils support)
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 01:48:41 GMT
Well, my usecase for beanutils is that I didn't want to have to create
POJO's at all.  I wanted my application and iBatis to figure out
dynamically the data that I'm putting into a database.  In this
particular application I have a bunch of configuration information in a
properties file and one of the configurations is "fieldNames".  These
field names correspond directly to the fieldNames in my POJO's.

If iBatis supported this then I would be able to specify something like
this in my sqlmap:

<typeAlias alias="merchant"
type="org.apache.commons.beanutils.LazyDynaBean"/>

<insert id="insertMerchant" parameterClass="merchant">
    <selectKey resultClass="int" keyProperty="merchantId" > select
EXTENDED_MERCHANT_SEQ.NEXTVAL as merchantId from DUAL</selectKey>
    insert into EXTENDED_MERCHANTS (MERCHANT_ID, NAME, CONTACT, EMAIL,
PHONE, COMMENTS, VENDOR_ID, VENDOR_SITE_ID, INVOICE_EMAIL,
EXTERNAL_MERCHANT)
    values (#merchantId#, #merchantName#, #merchantContact#,
#merchantEmail#, #merchantPhone#, #merchantComments#, #vendorId#,
#vendorSiteId#, #invoiceEmail#, #externalMerchant#)
  </insert>

Basically, I'm lazy and I didn't want to have to create a POJO.  It
seems like I'm constantly having to enter the same field names over and
over again...  This would just be one place to eliminate that.

For annotations...  I wasn't really sure other then I've seen some cool
uses with the hibernate annotations.  Maybe replace some of the result
map configurations, default values, etc.. with annotations.  Other then
that, I'm not sure of another use for this...

Brent