ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Jeff Butler <jeffgbut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Selective Update of fields depending on values in object
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:55:09 GMT
Hi Dave,

1. You don't need to regenerate the maps if all you're changing is NOT NULL
to NULL.  Abator doesn't care about the nullability of a column.  But
regenerating the maps shouldn't be a big issue anyway - Abator was designed
so you could run it repeatedly without losing anything extra you've added.

2. You are correct that the update statement updates all columns.  You'll
need to write custom update statements if you want to update a subset of the
columns.

I think it is unusual to do selective column updates if you are working with
anything close to a rich domain model - I've never had that requirement on
any of my projects.  That's why I didn't add support for it in Abator.  I
suppose it wouldn't be that difficult to add if there is a general feeling
that it's needed.  Does anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Jeff Butler