ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Troy J. Kelley" <troy.kel...@e-gineering.com>
Subject RE: Does iBatis have a direct competitor?
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:07:10 GMT

www.e-gineering.com

-----Original Message-----
From: larry.meadors@gmail.com [mailto:larry.meadors@gmail.com] On Behalf
Of Larry Meadors
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 4:17 PM
To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org
Subject: Re: Does iBatis have a direct competitor?

Interesting.

My experience with ORM must be quite different from yours.

I have seen some special cases where ORM might come in handy like
smaller projects where the database is only used by one application,
and would all fit into memory.

In an enterprise application on the other hand, where the database is
in the 100s of GB range and shared by multiple applications that do
not all operate within the same JVM, I have had nothing but pain with
ORM.

I am aware of no reason that a rich object model would preclude the
use of iBATIS.

Larry

On 2/13/06, Troy J. Kelley <troy.kelley@e-gineering.com> wrote:
> To save on some typing, I'll point to the blog entry that I just wrote
about this:

> http://jroller.com/page/tkelley?entry=does_ibatis_have_a_competitor
>
> Not that I *want* to find something other than iBatis... I've been
tasked with trying to find solutions that don't quite call for the ORMs
and I'm having a bit of difficulty finding some middle ground solutions
that are based on the concept of Data Mapping.  Based on what I've read
and experimented with, I'll be content if I only have iBatis to choose
from :-)

> I'm new to the mailing list, so I want to use this first post to say
thanks to the iBatis team for their time and effort.  You guys rule.