ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Ted Schrader" <tschra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem with Insert
Date Sat, 25 Feb 2006 16:17:57 GMT
At risk of bending the thread off topic a bit, here are my two cents:

I've run into the same situation at my workplace, as well.
Fortunately,  our web applications are mostly reporting or entail very
simple transactions.  The way I understand it, the 400 is such a
different animal that RPG programs don't really have to worry about
commitment control as long as the 400 folks mind the system messages.
Furthermore, to "turn on" journaling and commitment control means
modifying all the RPG code that touches the files/tables involved to
issue the RPG equivalent of commit and rollback, a significant
undertaking.  So, it's not going to happen.

With that said, the 400 never seems to flake out.  The only mangled
transactions I've had to deal with have always stemmed from malformed
SQL on the web side (i.e. my fault).

In an earlier thread, Ben mentioned that his SQLMaps sometimes invoke
stored procedures which, in turn, invoke RPG programs.  This may be an
avenue to encapsulate extensive transactions and push it down to the
400-level.  Our web apps are invoking 400 programs directly via the
iSeries Toolbox for Java API, which I would like to have changed to
stored procedure calls instead.

Cheers,

Ted