ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Rashmi Dave" <rash...@persistent.co.in>
Subject RE: Selective Update of fields depending on values in object
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:03:58 GMT
Hi Jeff,

I have a form - Update Profile of the User. Here, I would like to update
only those columns that have changed.

Also, when my user logs in, I want to update only the Last_Login_date field
of the user table. This is why I need it.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards

~Rashmi

  _____

From: Jeff Butler [mailto:jeffgbutler@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:25 PM
To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org
Subject: Re: Selective Update of fields depending on values in object

Hi Dave,

1. You don't need to regenerate the maps if all you're changing is NOT NULL
to NULL.  Abator doesn't care about the nullability of a column.  But
regenerating the maps shouldn't be a big issue anyway - Abator was designed
so you could run it repeatedly without losing anything extra you've added.

2. You are correct that the update statement updates all columns.  You'll
need to write custom update statements if you want to update a subset of the
columns.

I think it is unusual to do selective column updates if you are working with
anything close to a rich domain model - I've never had that requirement on
any of my projects.  That's why I didn't add support for it in Abator.  I
suppose it wouldn't be that difficult to add if there is a general feeling
that it's needed.  Does anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Jeff Butler