ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Larry Meadors <lmead...@apache.org>
Subject Re: iBATIS objects getting into POJOs
Date Sat, 28 Jan 2006 14:53:21 GMT
On 1/27/06, Ben Munat <bent@munat.com> wrote:
> So, lazy-loading is effectively useless.

Ben, you came to the same conclusion I did...almost.

I add to that statement this qualifier: "...in a web application."

In a more stateful environment, it *may* be more useful, but for a web
app, I avoid lazy loading like the plague, for two reasons:

1) it lends itself well to lazy programming
2) it leads to session bloat

Coding with lazy lists and defining all of your relationships in your
SQL maps is an interesting idea, but IMO, is not as optimized as
intelligent coding.

It is a way for developers to not have to think about what they need
and when they need it, which is a really really really bad idea, IMO.

In addition, if you *do* put this stuff into session scope, it tends
to grow and grow and grow.

Larry