ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From netsql <net...@roomity.com>
Subject Re: iBatis and ORM's
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 22:08:33 GMT
Let me try another approach of how I answer this:

SQL is a set processing langage. You select a set, update a set where,
etc., SQL engines are optimised for this for many decades. (See set
theory, unions, intersections, SQL P&T, etc.)
In general, row by row processing is discuraged when working w/ SQL dbs
and is not optimal.

So... row by row processing, or cursor processing is more ORM. ORM
attemnts to do SQL optimizing on the Java side, by storing rows as
objects and computing. ORM is row aware and ads complexity to Java layer.

Set processing is more SQL Mapping. Native Optimization from the SQL
engine is leveraged. SQL mapping is not aware of rows, it's aware of a
set of results that may be cached should somone else required identical
result set.

hth

--
thx,