ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Abdullah Kauchali <abdullah.kauch...@isanusi.com>
Subject Re: iBatis and ORM's
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 21:51:46 GMT
Larry Meadors wrote:

>Man, this is a big one, and i am late already..i'll get it started.

Sorry.  :)  I know Friday's almost over, but I need some ammo for
something I am preparing
for next week.

>The question is not DAO vs ORM, it is ORM vs Data Mapping.

Got it!

>ORM = mapping database objects to java objects (or c#, whatever).

Yeah, tables to java objects.  Cool.

>Data mapping = mapping sql *statements* to java objects (c#, blah, whatever).

This is what I am trying to understand.  How's this any different from
what Hibernate does?

>DAO can be used with either ORM or Data Mapping.

Yup.  Much like what Spring does by allowing either iBatis or Hibernate
to operate as the "data layer"?

>More later...

Much appreciated!  Believe me!  I love you guys!  :-D