ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From reuben <reub...@sonic.net>
Subject Re: (tangent) Cache w/ Hierarchical ResultMaps
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2005 03:23:08 GMT

Paul Benedict wrote:

>I am in the same situation (see my posts about my
>Fruit object). I am curious about how you feel about
>needing to list out, if you do, all your columns for
>those 4 objects to retrieve a Vendor. This assumes
>you're not doing 4 selects, but one select using
>joins.

Hi Paul, actually I'm not doing a large set of joins on this, but rather
tier my selects and subselects using the ResultMaps. (It would be cool
if there was some hybrid ResultMap/ResultClass structure.) And rather
than list all of the columns out, as you do, in your queries, I just do
select *, since I am explicitly doing the mappings in the ResultMap.

There definitely is more overhead in using Ibatis over Hibernate, but I
love the fact that I have control over the SQL, and find the exceptions
(when they happen) to be generally informative rather than obscure. It's
a tradeoff.

HTH