ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Clinton Begin <clinton.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: iBatis and ORM's
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 06:40:59 GMT
Wow. I could not disagree more.

>> I think we very badly need support for disconnected "datasets" or
resultsets in iBatis.

Datasets, rowsets, strongly typed or not are generally a horrible design
choice and shouldn't be used in any sort of system that requires a
maintainable object model that can exist with or without a database.

ORMs are not bad for WHAT they intend to do. They are sometimes just
overcomplicated because of HOW they do it. We should be working with rich
object models, not with two dimensional arrays of disorganized bits.

>> A concept like strongly typed datasets from .NET will be a /dream/!

Hey, did you know that Hibernate supports strongly typed, disconnected data?
Check it out.

>> IMO, the current way iBatis does things makes it more of an ORM than it
does a "collection based" data

Call it what you want, ORM or whatever. iBATIS is iBATIS. It does what it
does. We're not trying to fit into any mold.

>> And the last thing I want to do is waste my time defending ORM for
iBatis' sake!

If you have to defend it, there are two possibilities. 1) iBATIS is the
wrong choice for you're situation, or 2) you're talking to the wrong people.
Either way, we don't typically build features simply to satisfy any debate.

Cheers,
Clinton