ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Sven Boden <list...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: why does SqlMap ibatis is slower that JdbcDaoTemplate
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2005 22:13:18 GMT

Simple... the SQL code executed by the JDBC example and the iBATIS
version is not the same. The JDBC examples use parameter markers and
proper arguments, while the iBATIS version in the original mail uses
inline parameters, the #value# (which means that the SQL generated
will contain hardcoded parameters)... By the way iBATIS can also use
parameters markers.

Oracle performance suffers very badly when using hardcoded arguments.
I could make my own example but have a look e.g. at Tom Kyte's site
http://asktom.oracle.com and search for "hard parsing"... you will get
a complete explanation why hardcoding is bad.

Personally I've seen in Oracle examples of executing SQL in a loop
with different arguments where with proper parameters the code would
take 2 seconds, and with harcoded arguments the "same" SQL took 2
minutes.

So if the database is Oracle a more proper comparison would be to
hardcode the arguments in the JDBC example, or use parameter markers
in iBATIS.

Regards,
Sven