ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Larry Meadors <larry.mead...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: where can I find a simple implementation example
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:56:46 GMT
On 8/17/05, Salim Madjd <salim_madjd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Larry.
>
> Yes, I have gone this far and have all the config and maps setup based on
> the documentations.
>
> Your example is great for stand-alone application. But I am looking for web
> application (tomcat 5.x and above or any servlet 2.3 container) and some
> best practices.

Hmmm, best practices for web development are to use struts, spring, or JSF. :-)

> For example, where should I put this:
>
>         resource = "blah/SqlMapConfig.xml";
>         reader = Resources.getResourceAsReader (resource);
>         sqlMap =
> SqlMapClientBuilder.buildSqlMapClient(reader);
>
> Should I place it in a listener and load it once at the start of context.

My suggestion (if you are not wanting to use Spring) is to create a
class that has a static reference to a sql map in it that contains the
code above. Not sexy, but it works.

> How should I deal with the thread?

I do not understand the question. Can you clarify it please?

> Is it best to write a simple filter to handle the resource management?

No, no, no, please: no.

I have seen that done with hibernate, and IMO, it is one of the worst
patterns of anything data-related I can imagine. As un-sexy as the
static idea above was, this is worse. Using your web layer to
initialize your data layer is just a really, really bad idea. Nancy
Reagan was right: "Just say 'no'."

Larry