ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Steve Biondi" <Ste...@schemalogic.com>
Subject RE: Clob Issue
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:13:41 GMT
Is this with Oracle? If so, the string can only be up to 4000 characters long if you use setString
even if the underlying column is a CLOB and you tell the driver that. With bigger strings,
you need to use the CLOB-specific API stuff.

A nice workaround is to use the Oracle10g JDBC driver and set the following connection property:

SetBigStringTryClob=true;

Then, you can pass any size string to setString, and the JDBC driver will internally do the
"clob" work. You can also define your maps using simply "string".

FYI - the Oracle10g driver works well with both Oracle9i and 10g databases. We support both
DBs and make extensive use of clobs in our iBatis stuff.

Steve B.

________________________________

From: Craig Swift [mailto:Craig.Swift@Sun.COM]
Sent: Thu 2005-08-11 3:33 PM
To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org
Subject: Clob Issue

Hello,

Has anyone seen this type of error before when trying to use Clobs in
IBatis?

javax.servlet.ServletException: Error executing update.  Cause:
--- The error occurred in recognition/dao/ibatis/mapping/Nomination.xml.
--- Check the updateNomination-InlineParameterMap.
--- Check the parameter mapping for the 'writeUp' property.
--- Cause: java.sql.SQLException: Data size bigger than max size for this type: 4236

I'm using a String as the underlining object and specifying the JDBC type as a clob in the
sql map. It works for inserts/updates/deletes until the String size becomes to large. I was
under the impression that a CustomType Hnadler wasn't necessary. Any information would be
appreciated, thanks!

Craig S