ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Larry Meadors <larry.mead...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: iBATIS 2.1.5 is out (despite the website)
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:05:29 GMT
At the risk of becoming a heretic...I can see cases where result set
support would be useful.

IMO, two of the biggest gains for new users in iBATIS are dynamic sql
and caching.

Being able to leverage those without having to rewrite an application
is a huge benefit.

That said, I think passing around resultsets is a REALLY bad idea, but
would simplify the migration path.

Perhaps a middle-of-the-road solution would be to provide a
List-backed resultset implementation. It gets rid of the resource
baggage (i.e., connection, statement) that resultsets have, but leaves
the API mostly the same.

IMO, however, this should NOT be core iBATIS functionality. Maybe this
is an opportunity for someone to create a component to be used in
conjunction with iBATIS. To me, it feels like something that should
sit in the Data Access Layer...perhaps as part of a DAO class.

Larry