ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Larry Meadors <larry.mead...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: queryForList not returning null
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:04:25 GMT
Where I work, we did that too, and it used to be one of our
development standards. In fact, I was a leading proponent for the
decision.

However, we stopped when we realized that there are two choices you
can make when you go down that path:

1) Mimic the existing API as closely as possible.
2) Change the API so that it suits your tastes better.

Both when you look at them closely add very little value.

In the first case, you add very little value, but gain the ability to
hire help that can quickly learn the API, especially if they have used
the wrapped API. the downside is that you create a bit more code to
maintain.

In the second case, you may improve the API, but you add more code and
documentation to maintain, and it comes at the expense of training -
you will never find a developer off-the-shelf who knows your API.
Finding developers who know the SQLMap API is not difficult.

In BOTH cases, it only ever matters if you change the API frequently,
which i think everyone agrees is not a great idea.

Just my $.02 on the subject as a guy who has been there, and done that. :-)

Larry