ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Steve Webb" <Steve.W...@Phones4u.co.uk>
Subject DAO Objects - Hiding ?
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:26:32 GMT
Before acting on this e-mail or opening any attachments you are advised to read
The Caudwell Holdings group of companies' disclaimer at the end of this e-mail.

Hi there,

I'm new to iBatis so excuse my lack of knowledge. I am currently looking at modifying an exisitng
J2SE Swing application so that it uses iBatis/Spring  for DB access rather than user JDBC
directly. I have read the info on the iBatis site and also had a read about the DAO pattern
for J2EE (  http://java.sun.com/blueprints/corej2eepatterns/Patterns/DataAccessObject.html
). I am unsure why my application (problem) logic should know about both my POJO and the DAO
associated with it. I would have thought my application would just need to know about the
POJO object and that would hide the details of the DAO behind the scene. In effect my POJO
would have its normal get/set methods plus methods associated with persistence such as update,
create, getNext .......

If anyone could point me to something that could clear my mental block about this or explain
why what I'm advocating is wrong I'd be most grateful.

Cheers

Steve Webb

Confidentiality Notice
This e-mail is confidential and intended for the use of the named recipient only.  If you
are not the intended recipient please notify us by telephone immediately on +44(0)1782 600600
or return it to us by e-mail.  Please then delete it from your system and note that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of The Caudwell Holdings
group of companies.

Encryptions and Viruses
Please note that this e-mail and any attachments have not been encrypted.  They may therefore
be liable to be compromised.  Please also note that it is your responsibility to scan this
e-mail and any attachments for viruses.  We do not, to the extent permitted by law, accept
any liability (whether in contract, negligence or otherwise) for any virus infection and/or
external compromise of security and/or confidentiality in relation to transmissions sent by
e-mail.

Monitoring
Activity and use of The Caudwell Holdings group of companies' systems is monitored to secure
its effective use and operation and for other lawful business purposes.  Communications using
these systems will also be monitored and may be recorded to secure effective use and operation
and for other lawful business purposes.