ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Chen, Tim" <Tim.C...@NielsenMedia.com>
Subject RE: Advantage of Map over Bean as a parameterObject?
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:15:48 GMT
A sports car the transforms into a bicycle? I want one of those. Women
love transformers.

Advantage of maps over beans is that its a simple way to get data that
you dont care about manipulating or handling.
For example displayed tables that are not editable.
If I wanted to see a list of all flights for an airline for example it
is simple and easy to hold them as a map keyed by cities and values of
collections of destinations.
>From there you can hold the values of destinations as a hashmap of
maybe:

City:SomeCity
Price:SomePrice
DepartTime:SomeTime
ArrivalTime:SomeOtherTime

Which is fine if you are doing it solely for display purposes but if you
are thinking of using it for updating/inserting as well.
A javabean allows you to hold any business rules, type cast, validate
values, and (very important imo) allows another developer to not have to
search thru lines of code to figure out what exactly you are holding in
a map which can severly cut down on development/maintanence time.

Just my 2 cents (now I have to wait that much longer to get my
transforming sports car/bike)