ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Florin Manolache" <flo...@ecstend.com>
Subject Re: How to set the connection read-only?
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:32:39 GMT
In my read-only transactions, I read data from multiple tables, and I want to get a consistent
view (I don't want other transactions which are not read-only to modify data between 2 reads
from 2 different tables). Setting the transaction read-only is supposed to give hints to the
database/driver that I am not modifying anything, so it can perform transactions optimizations.

Basically what I need to do is to get a reference to the current connection being used by
DAOs and sqlMap and call setReadOnly(true) on it.

Thanks,
Florin

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Clinton Begin
  To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org ; Florin Manolache
  Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2005 11:59 PM
  Subject: Re: How to set the connection read-only?

  Florin,

  I don't understand why you would do that.  If you have a connection that's read-only, why
would you need a transaction at all? (or vice versa)

  Cheers,
  Clinton

  On 7/8/05, Florin Manolache <florin@ecstend.com> wrote:

    Is there a way to set the connection in the read-only state before starting a transaction?
    I'm using a mix of DAOs and sqlMaps in my application so I'm interested in a solution
for both of them.

    Thanks,
    Florin