ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Nathan Maves <Nathan.Ma...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Note on WIKI useage
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:31:06 GMT
Rahul,

I agree with your statement about the manual.  It is just a bit
frustrating answering the same question over and over again.  This
alias dose not seem to have this problem.  I think that it is because
of the work that has gone into the manual and the wiki.

I was reading your first email again and in the section where you ask
about a web submission for help.  One reason is that we agreed that
the email forum should NOT be anonymous and an email submission form
is easily fooled by most.

As for a web based view of the alias have you checked out

http://www.mail-archive.com/user-java@ibatis.apache.org/

Nathan
On Jun 24, 2005, at 9:07 AM, Rahul Singh ( Anant ) wrote:

> Nathan,
>
> If the site had it correct, then there wouldn't be an issue of
> confused users. "Read the F#$# Manual" is the wrong attitude even if
> you are dealing with developers.
>
> The point is that NO one has it correct, especially with open source
> solutions. Rainbow developers claimed they had it correct with Forums
> and Confluence. However, when a yahoogroup was started.. it seemed
> that people tended to gravitate towards it because it "worked"
>
> I don't think anyone can say "this is the right way" simply because
> usability is a gray area which people do lots and lots of research on.
> (I don't like Nielsen, but he did do a good job with the SUN site..
> and he is ONE expert, which others disagree with)
>
> The way you get a approximation of correctness is if you look at the
> users's goals and try to cater to them rather than pushing them what
> "we" think is right. (See Inmates are running the Asylum by Alan
> Cooper)
>
> Rahul
>
> On 6/24/05, Nathan Maves <Nathan.Maves@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> Rahul,
>>
>> Like many other open source solutions that I use, this site has it
>> correct.  They ask new users to search for their problem in both the
>> Wiki and the mail archives.  Of course it would be nice it they read
>> the manual first.  If they can not find a solution they are more then
>> welcome to ask it on the alias.
>>
>> Most of the support people only have time to respond to email.  If we
>> find that it is a common problem and we have a solution we will post
>> it to the Wiki.
>>
>> Nathan
>>
>> On Jun 24, 2005, at 7:36 AM, Rahul Singh ( Anant ) wrote:
>>

>>> Larry,
>>>
>>> Most people who are using the wiki probably don't use the
>>> Mailinglist
>>> because it is a source of support. Why not just create a simple page
>>> which would let people ask questions from the web, and an email
>>> would
>>> be sent to the lists.
>>>
>>> People need to be either told the purposes of the different support
>>> mechanisms ( for different types of people ) or a better systems
>>> should be used altogether.
>>>
>>> I have been using Yahoogroups to manage groups for ASP.NET and
>>> Rainbow
>>> Portal. Users have a nice web based view of the questions/answers