ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From iba...@aladin.ca
Subject Re: PaginatedList question
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:22:22 GMT
Hi Clinton,

I'm interested in knowing why you would discourage the use of the
paginated list in a "high performance" system?

In order to compute the number of pages (using the paginatedlist), a
simple binary search method can be applied once when the result is first
queried.  This binary search finds the last page in the set; reducing the
set by half on every iteration (hence binary).  Of course, some critical
assumptions have to be made.  The end result is something very similar to
google, where it tells you that your search yielded n pages with m
records... but when you click on the last page, those numbers are
re-adjusted.  I hope this makes sense to you...

Nevertheless, I am more interested in why the use of the paginated list is
discouraged.

Thanks.
Aladin