ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Clinton Begin <clinton.be...@gmail.com>
Subject IBATIS DOMAIN NAME UPDATE - DTD WARNING
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2005 13:25:57 GMT
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the scary subject, I just wanted to make sure everyone wasn't
surprised if DTDs stop validating against ibatis.com <http://ibatis.com> in
the next 24 hours.

I've moved all of the ibatis.com/net/org <http://ibatis.com/net/org> domains
to be parked on the new apache domain
ibatis.apache.org<http://ibatis.apache.org>

This means we'll have one nice consolodated website that all of our
developers can access. I'll still own the ibatis domains, because
unfrotunately I have 3 years woth of email registrations that I need to
slowly undo. So in a nutshell, ibatis.com/net/org<http://ibatis.com/net/org>and
ibatis.apache.org <http://ibatis.apache.org> will all point to the same web
server and site.

So why the scary email?

Well, like anything involving computers, sometimes things go wrong. When it
comes to DNS updates and domain parking, there's a 24 hour delay before we
know if something got screwed up. Worse yet, different ISPs and domain
servers will refresh at different periods. Since your iBATIS DTDs currently
resolve from ibatis.com <http://ibatis.com>, that could be a problem.

The DTDs should be resolving from the JAR files by default, so you shouldn't
need to do anything. Unfortunatley some XML parsers don't use entity
resolvers properly. Also, your IDE might want to resolve from the network
too. Good IDEs like IntelliJ IDEA use locally mapped resources for DTD
validation.

However, if you experience problems, here's what you can do:

Option 1) Use ibatis.apache.org <http://ibatis.apache.org>

Start resolving your DTDs from ibatis.apache.org <http://ibatis.apache.org>.
They've been uploaded, but they're not being served yet...we seem to have a
horrible cache or replication delay at apache.org <http://apache.org>.
Eventually they will appear at
ibatis.apache.org/dtd/<http://ibatis.apache.org/dtd/>,
just like they were at ibatis.com <http://ibatis.com>. This requires that
you change each of your XML files from ibatis.com <http://ibatis.com> to
ibatis.apache.org <http://ibatis.apache.org>. This will stop your DTDs from
resolving from the JAR file, so don't do it unless you know you're having
problems.

Option 2) Use local filesystem

Every iBATIS JAR file comes with the DTDs. You can extract the DTDs and put
them on your local filesystem. This is a lame approach, but some people
already do it for performance or other security reasons. This will also stop
your DTDs from resolving from the JAR file.

Option 3) Locally remap ibatis.com <http://ibatis.com> to
ibatis.apache.org<http://ibatis.apache.org>

This is your own internal network solution. You can re-route
ibatis.com<http://ibatis.com>to
ibatis.apache.org <http://ibatis.apache.org> yourself, temporarily, until
ibatis.com <http://ibatis.com> corrects itself. This is an excellent
solution for production systems that you don't want to touch, especially if
you have lots of SQL Mapping files. Of course, DTDs are only resolved once
when you build the SQL map instance anyway, but some people have been
reloading SQL Maps at runtime, which might be problematic in this case.

Our hope is that nothing goes wrong and that the transition is completely
transparent. We apologize for any inconvenience you experience.

When is this happening? Now! The domains have been reparked and the changes
will be propogating over the next 24 hours. To be safe, consider the next 48
hours as the risk period. Any problems beyond 48 hours will be due to your
ISP or internal network configuration.

Thanks for your patience in these exciting times of change.

Best regards,

Clinton Begin