ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Karsten Silz <ks...@seldonsystems.com>
Subject How to support multiple SQL dialects?
Date Thu, 05 May 2005 14:02:20 GMT
Hi!

I've used SqlMaps on a couple of projects and I'm quite happy with it.
However, I don't know how to handle one requirement that has shown up
recently: supporting multiple SQL dialects (i.e., different JOIN syntax
etc.) when you interacting with different databases.

If you assume that the query just look a little different, I could see
how you have multiple sets of query files and just use / ship a
different one for each installation.  Now could you have a "base set"
where most queries are in (because they are the same across databases)
and then sets with queries that are specific for each database (similar
to accessing resource bundles)?  I would really like to avoid
duplicating each and every query for each supported database.  Or could
you use the "namespace" feature for that?

Now this breaks down when there are queries that are one query for one
database and multiple queries / queries plus Java code for another
database.  Would you have to build a little framework around SqlMaps
then?  I guess SqlMaps isn't really build to handle this kind
situation.  Or is it?

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Karsten Silz

"It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid."
George Bernard Shaw (quote found on http://www.theinquirer.net)