ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Nic Werner <wer...@sonoma.edu>
Subject Object Oriented Loading Best Practice
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 17:45:26 GMT
Hi,
    I have several objects in my program which have a bit of a
hierarchy, ie A contains B, B contains C and so on. Each table in the DB
is linked to each other by a foreign key on a unique ID. I have iBATIS
populating each Bean by using a resultMap and calling on the object's
Select statement to populate the encapsulated Bean. Meaning, if I try
and load info for B, it makes a call to the DB for B, and also for C.

My question is: Is this the best way to go about things? If I am loading
A, it is going to create a call for A,B and C, where normally (w/o
IBATIS) I would just create a statement that contained a join of all
three tables on their unique IDs - and only one DB call.

Let me know if I need to explain more.

Thanks,

- Nic.