ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Francisco Leon <fle...@cantv.net>
Subject Re: CLOBs with Oracle 9i
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:26:27 GMT

> As Richard has already said, the 10g drivers should
> work.  If that is not possible or practical in your
> environment, however, there is a way to create a
> TypeHandler implementation that handles Oracle clobs
> using the 9i thin driver and which doesn't suffer from
> the 4000 character limit issue.  The caveat is that
> you need to be using iBatis in conjunction with the
> Spring framework and also need to be running the
> queries inside transactions (which is simple if you're
> using Spring anyway).

I am using the ojdbc14.jar but connecting with a "jdbc:oracle:thin...." url
because i was told that connecting this way doesn't require any additional
oracle software.
I have a table with an attribute that uses a CLOB. I need to be able to
insert it (i am using transactions there), query it, search it, etc.
Using spring is really not an option.

The application already runs fine on postgresql. The oracle 9i docs say
varchar2 is limited to 4000 bytes, it doesn't say anything about a jdbc
bug (ok, i don't think they would say it's a bug anyway)

If i can get the same functionality with just replacing ojdbc14.jar with
the oracle 10g version i guess that's my answer, i will try it.

If there's any other info you need to help me please let me know.
Thanks