ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Fabrizio Gianneschi" <fabrizio.giannes...@gruppoatlantis.com>
Subject R: Please Help in arguing for iBatis SqlMaps
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:27:17 GMT
Kaushik Ashodiya wrote:

>Please give me more reasons so that I can convince them.
>
>Their argument:
>1. For small project SqlMap is adding unnecessary complexity.

I evaluated iBATIS expecially on small-medium projects.
It reduces the "ordinary-JDBC" Java code by ~62%
http://www.jugsardegna.org/vqwiki/jsp/Wiki?IBatisCaseStudy
Most of the DAO methods are now 1 line long. (I wasn't able to reduce them
more, sorry :))

Can your homemade framework do the same?

>2. Why learn one more tool when you have a simple base data access
>object that gives you connection, prepared statement
>and a result and does cleanup? (only when extended class calls cleanup()
!!!)

I don't want to think about cleanup or opened connections left.
I don't want to repeat the
"try-getConnection-prepare-set-execute-while-new-set-add-finally-close-close
-close" prayer anymore.

>3. Generally open source projects dies shortly and does not have support.

Even if iBATIS would die tomorrow, its actual codebase is better than every
other framework I could develop within months (or years).

>4. Adding many jars of those open source projects make out project more
complex and un-maintainable.

That's why Ant, Maven and other build systems exists. Ya-ha-wn.

Every (few) jar included in iBATIS is far more maintanable than an homemade
framework, on which you've to spend your valuable time.

>5. What if SqlMaps goes out of market? It is fairly new and not hardened.

Try it. I don't reply to your peers arguments... other people responded very
well here.

Fabrizio