ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Eric T. Blue" <ericblu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Populating 2 lists within a class
Date Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:12:49 GMT
Clinton,

Thanks for the quick reply.  This is definitely good information.  I was
only using Access for evaluation since it allowed my to import an
existing ODBC datasource for testing.  Other than MySql, can you
recommend another small-midsize db that works with iBatis?  Something
along the lines of Derby or SQLite.

Clinton Begin wrote:

>Eric,
>
>Please email all questions to the mailing list.
>
>This is a severe limitation of both the JDBC/ODBC bridge driver, ODBC
>in general and MS Access in general.  All three suck big time.
>
>My first recommendation is to get a real database.  There are plenty
>of high quality, free databases to choose from.  There's no reason to
>use MS Access, unless there's a business driver constraining you.
>
>If you are constrained by some hard requirement to use MS Access, then
>I'm afraid you're out of luck.  There are 2 key limitations that will
>keep you from being successful with your intention:
>
>1) MS Access can only have a single result set open at a time.
>Therefore, your nested SELECT statement will fail.  This is also why
>the join mapping (N+1) works -- it's a single result set.
>
>2) Columns must be read in the order that they're specified in the
>statement.  For this reason you must avoid SELECT * and also avoid
>interrupting the serial reading of all columns (including running an
>intermediate select statement).
>
>Other than that, you have all of the usual threading problems
>associated with MS Access and the JDBC/ODBC bridge driver.
>
>In any case, best of luck in finding a solution.
>
>Clinton
>
>On 4/24/05, Eric T. Blue <ericblue76@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi Clinton,
>>
>>First of all I wanted to say that you guys have done a fantastic job on Ibatis.  I'm
emailing a little late on this thread,
>>but I've actually run into a similar issue to this that I've been trying to track
down for about 3 days!  I'm using MS Access
>>and am trying to populate a list for a 1:n relationship with a select statement.
>>
>>        <resultMap id="categoryResult" class="Category">
>>            <result property="id" column="CategoryID"/>
>>            <result property="name" column="Name"/>
>>            <result property="parentId" column="Parent"/>
>>            <result property="articles" column="CategoryID" select="getArticlesbyCategory"/>
>>        </resultMap>

>>Error:
>>
>>        --- Check the result mapping for the 'articles' property.
>>        --- Cause: java.sql.SQLException: No data found
>>        Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: No data found
>>
>>Sure enough, after finding this thread I swapped the order of "articles" and "id"
and I get an exception on the "id" column.
>>If I comment out id, the getArticlesbyCategory will run just fine.  What is the resolution
to this, and is it something
>>specific with MS Access and the JdbcOdbc driver?
>>
>>I've experimented and can populate this by doing the n+1 workaround solution.  But
I would still prefer to use the select