ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From John Fereira <ja...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: ArrayList as parameter
Date Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:12:49 GMT
At 09:12 AM 3/19/2005 -0700, Clinton Begin wrote:
>This is an inappropriate use of a list.  A list is good for objects of
>the same (or at least similar!) type.  In your case the list contains
>completely different data.
>
>You should use a Map for this, or better yet, a JavaBean.

One might wonder when it's better to use a Map or a JavaBean.  I've found
that I want to use a Map when I want to pass a parameter that I might not
want to put in a bean I'm using.  For example, I might have a patrons bean
with several fields (patronsid, firstname, lastname, emailaddress).  When I
query the database for a single row using the bean for the parameter object
works fine.  However, I might want a list of all patrons which have a
specified string in the email address and I want the list sorted by
lastname or emailaddress.  Since the bean doesn't have a sort order field I
would use a Map for the parameter  object so that I could use an "ORDER BY
#sortorder# " in the map.
John Fereira
jaf30@cornell.edu
Ithaca, NY